Does CBD Really Help With Sciatica?
Sciatica is a pain in the butt. Literally! People who suffer this debilitating condition experience shooting pain in the buttocks, legs and feet that can force them to the sidelines of life. CBD oil has been shown to be effective in treating a wide array of health problems. Can it be used to provide relief to the millions who suffer either acute or chronic sciatica? Some people think so.
The medicinal qualities of CBD oil are no longer in dispute. Today, it’s being used to treat everything from epilepsy to arthritis. In fact, according to Dr. Yasmin Hurd at Mount Sinai Medical Center, CBD oil may even be effective in treating heroin addiction. But can it work its magic on sciatica?
What Is Sciatica?
The sciatic nerve begins in the lower back and runs all the way down to your feet. It’s the longest nerve in the body. Sometimes due to a herniated disk, bone spurs or spinal stenosis, the sciatic nerve gets pinched, and pain begins to radiate down through the buttocks and legs.
According to the National Institutes of Health, sciatica is diagnosed through a physical examination that may also include neurological testing. On occasion, your doctor may need to perform an MRI or other type of visualization in order to try and determine the cause of the pain.
For a comprehensive overview of sciatica and its symptoms, we recommend you take a few minutes and watch this short video.
What is the Best Treatment for Sciatica?
The best treatment for sciatica depends on a number of factors including the age of the patient, their medical history, their overall physical condition, their weight and more. According to the Cleveland Clinic, the goal of sciatica treatment is pain relief and enhanced mobility.
Traditional treatments most often take one of the following forms:
● Physical therapy, including massage.
● Medication, including NSAIDs.
● Muscle relaxants, including cyclobenzaprine.
● Spinal injections of a substance such as cortisone.
Surgery is usually only considered if the patient has not responded to any other form of therapy.
Does CBD Oil Help Sciatica?
Until recently, the most widely accepted uses for CBD oil have been to treat insomnia, anxiety and certain types of childhood epilepsy. The widespread legalization of both cannabis and hemp, however, has opened the doors of the research community to this long-neglected compound.
To virtually no one’s surprise, it’s proving effective in treating all kinds of health issues. In 2018 Dr. Peter Grinspoon of the Harvard Medical School published a paper in which he discusses the many benefits of CBD and how it can inhibit neuropathic pain (which includes sciatica). So yes, CBD oil can help sciatica.
Can CBD Heal Nerve Damage?
This is a hotly debated topic and not one with a clear cut answer. However, a study by the Dalhousie University in Canada published by the NIH concluded there is some evidence that the administration of CBD may prevent nerve damage.
Is CBD Oil Massage Good for Sciatica?
Massage has long been used to treat sciatica and is generally considered one of the most effective ways to relieve pain from the condition. Adding CBD oil to massage therapy is a relatively new idea.
While clinical research into the topic is still lacking, there is a growing amount of anecdotal evidence (including stories like this one at the Huffington Post) that using CBD for sciatica in a massage context can enhance the effectiveness of the massage.
CBD Dose for Sciatica
As we discussed earlier determining the best treatment for sciatica can be tricky because there are so many variables involved. It gets even trickier when you toss CBD into the therapeutic mix. The best method at the moment for determining proper dosage is to find and use a reputable CBD calculator.
You won’t need the CBD calculator for oil massage, since it’s just a matter of the masseuse rubbing a bit of CBD infused oil into your skin. But if you are keen to try and obtain pain relief with CBD through drops or tinctures, we’d highly recommend you use the calculator first.
Best Full and Broad Spectrum CBD Brands On The Market
● CBDPure – CBDPure is a full-spectrum CBD oil produced using the highest quality Colorado hemp. A CO2 extraction process is used to produce an oil that’s highly pure and potent. There are no chemicals, fertilizers or pesticides used to grow the hemp. And all CBDPure oils undergo rigorous 3rd party lab testing before being released to market.
● CBDfx – CBDfx uses only the highest quality organic hemp and extracts the CBD oil using the same CO2 extraction method as CBDPure. The CBD extract is extremely pure with all its essential amino acids and cannabinoids intact. The resulting tinctures come in three different potencies indicated by different colored bottles. CBDfx is a Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) certified facility, and all their oils are gluten-free.
● NuLeaf Naturals – NuLeaf Naturals was a CBD oil pioneer that opened for business way back in 2014. Today, five years later, they still produce nothing but CBD oils. NuLeaf CBD oils are considered by some to be the gold standard of current cannabinoid oils, and are produced with strict 3rd party oversight of every aspect of the process.
The days when people had to simply endure long years of pain due to sciatica are likely coming to a close thanks to CBD oil. While it’s not a surefire “cure” in every case, there is mounting evidence that CBD-based therapy can provide previously unheard-of levels of relief regardless of your age or the cause of the sciatic pain.
So if sciatica is ruining your life and mainstream drug treatments aren’t doing the trick, it’s time to start thinking outside the box. Consider a CBD oil massage. Or use one of the high-quality full spectrum CBD tinctures we profiled above.
People everywhere are singing the praises of non-addictive, THC-free CBD oil. We have no doubt that once you try it, you’ll be adding your voice to the chorus.